ATHENS APART FROM PARTHENON

PORTO RAFTI

PORTO RAFTI.

Porto Rafti (Greek: Πόρτο Ράφτη), official name: Limin Markopoulou (Greek: Λιμήν Μαρκοπούλου), is a seaside resort town in East Attica, Greece. It is part of the municipality Markopoulo Mesogaias, and it is about 15–20 minutes by car from the International airport of Athens, Eleftherios Venizelos, and about 35–40 minutes from downtown Athens via the highway. In 2011, its population was 9,686. The region of Mesogaia is well known for its fine vineyards, figs, and pistachios. Currently, there are several modern wine-making facilities in the region. It is part of Athens metropolitan area.



The town of Porto Rafti stretches amphitheatrically around the Rafti Bay, a bay of the Aegean Sea, on the east coast of the Attica peninsula. It is surrounded by pine-cladded hills, the tallest of which is Merenta, 613 m above sea level. It is 5 km south of Vravrona, 6 km east of Markopoulo and 26 km southeast of the center of Athens.



The port was a major trading place until the collapse of the Roman Empire. The names of the ancient villages around the bay of Porto Rafti were Steiria, Prasiai, and Koroni. They belonged to the paraktia (seaside) Pandionis phyle, according to the division of the Ancient Athenian Democracy by Clisthenes in the early 5th century BCE. The port of Porto Rafti is no longer in use as a commercial harbor due to environmental concerns, but it has an organized marina for smaller recreational vessels with seaside restaurants and cafes. This port was the scene of the allied troops' evacuation after the German invasion in Greece at the end of April 1941. Click for complete WIKI...

Click to go back..

www.tzitzikas.gr