ATHENS APART FROM PARTHENON

PRIME MINISTER SEAT

HOUSE OF PRIME  MINISTER day.1.

The Maximos Mansion (Greek: Μέγαρο Μαξίμου, Mégaro Maxímou) has been the official seat of the Prime Minister of Greece since 1982. It is located in downtown Athens, Greece, near Syntagma Square. The building houses the offices of the Head of the Greek Government, but it is not the residence of the Prime Minister.



The Maximos Mansion is located at Herodes Atticus Street 19, next to the Presidential Mansion and the National Garden of Athens. The building was founded in 1912 by Alexandros Michalinos, a wealthy shipowner from the island of Chios. Before the construction of the Mansion, the site was a garden for the Royal Palace. In 1916, Michalinos' widow, Irene Manoussis, after marrying banker and politician Dimitrios Maximos, sold the incomplete building to shipowner Leonidas Embirikos, only to re-buy it in 1921.



Dimitrios Maximos completed the building and settled there with his family in the early 1920s. Between 1941 and 1944, during the Nazi Occupation of Greece, the Mansion was used as the residence of the German Admiral of the Aegean Sea. After the war the building was briefly used as the residence of the U.S. Ambassador in Athens. In 1952 Dimitrios Maximos sold the Mansion to the Greek State at a favorable price. From the mid-1950s until 1982, the Mansion was used as a guesthouse for important foreign dignitaries visiting Greece, including Marshal Tito of Yugoslavia in 1955 and Margaret Thatcher of the United Kingdom in 1980. Click for complete WIKI...

Click to go back..

www.tzitzikas.gr