Athens (/ˈæθɪnz/ ATH-inz; Greek: Αθήνα, romanized: Athína [aˈθina] (About this soundlisten); Ancient Greek: Ἀθῆναι, romanized: Athênai (pl.) [atʰɛ̂ːnai̯]) is the capital and largest city in Greece. Athens dominates the Attica region and is one of the world's oldest cities, with its recorded history spanning over 3,400 years and its earliest human presence started somewhere between the 11th and 7th millennium BC. Click for more..
One of Athen's most iconic monuments is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Greek: Μνημείο του Αγνώστου Στρατιώτη, romanized: Mnimío tou Agnóstou Stratióti). It is a war memorial located in Syntagma Square in Athens, in front of the Old Royal Palace. It is a cenotaph dedicated to the Greek soldiers killed during war. It was sculpted between 1930 and 1932 by sculptor Fokion Rok. The tomb is guarded by the Evzones of the Presidential Guard. Click for more..
The Academy of Athens (Greek: Ακαδημία Αθηνών, Akadimía Athinón) is Greece's national academy, and the highest research establishment in the country. It was established in 1926, and operates under the supervision of the Ministry of Education. The Academy's main building is one of the major landmarks of Athens. Click for more...
Bank of GREECE head office is a landmark building exuding a sense of stability and trust.
During the first ten years of its operation (1928-1938), the Bank of Greece relied on infrastructure of the National Bank of Greece (NBG), including for its functional, housing and staffing needs. It was housed in a building belonging to the National Mortgage Bank at 28 Eleftheriou Venizelou (Panepistimiou) Street until moving to its own premises in 1938. Click for more...
The Hellenic Parliament (Greek: Ελληνικό Κοινοβούλιο, transliterated Elliniko Kinovoulio), in Greek known as Voulí ton Ellínon (Greek: Βουλή των Ελλήνων, literally Parliament of the Hellenes) is the parliament of Greece, located in the Old Royal Palace, overlooking Syntagma Square in Athens. The Parliament is the supreme democratic institution that represents the citizens through an elected body of Members of Parliament (MPs). Click for more...
The name Greek Orthodox Church (Greek: Ἑλληνορθόδοξη Ἑκκλησία, Ellinorthódoxi Ekklisía, IPA: [elinorˈθoðoksi ekliˈsia]), or Greek Orthodoxy, is a term referring to the body of several Churches within the larger communion of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, whose liturgy is or was traditionally conducted in Koine Greek, the original language of the Septuagint and the New Testament. Its history, traditions, and theology are rooted in the early Church Fathers and the culture of the Byzantine Empire. Click for more...
Monastiraki (Greek: Μοναστηράκι, pronounced [monastiˈraci], literally little monastery) is a flea market neighborhood in the old town of Athens, Greece, and is one of the principal shopping districts in Athens. The area is home to clothing boutiques, souvenir shops, and specialty stores, and is a major tourist attraction in Athens and Attica for bargain shopping.
The area is named after Monastiraki Square, which in turn is named for the Church of the Pantanassa that is located within the square. The main streets of this area are Pandrossou Street and Adrianou Street. The Monastiraki Metro Station, located on the square, serves both Line 1 and Line 3 of the Athens. Click for more..
The Sacred Band or Sacred Squadron (Greek: Ιερός Λόχος) was a Greek special forces unit formed in 1942 in the Middle East, composed entirely of Greek officers and officer cadets under the command of Col. Christodoulos Tsigantes. It fought alongside the SAS in the Western Desert and the Aegean, as well as with General Leclerc's Free French Forces in Tunisia. It was disbanded in August 1945 but is the precursor of the modern Greek Special Forces. This monuments stands at Pedion tou Areos.
The Hellenic Army Academy was founded in 1828 in Nafplion, the first capital of the modern Greek State. In 1834 the Academy was relocated to the island of Aegina, and in 1837, to the city of Piraeus.From 1854 to 1857 it was housed in the Duchess of Placentia Mansion in central Athens (now the Byzantine and Christian Museum). It was then relocated to Kypseli, Athens, in facilities donated by the magnate benefactor George Averoff.
The origin of the designation "Evelpides" (Greek: Εὐέλπιδες, Euélpides, literally: "bearers of high hopes") is from a passage by the historian Thucydides, where the Corinthians describe their adversaries, the Athenians, as "adventurous beyond their power, daring beyond their judgment, and bearers of high hopes when in danger" (History of the Peloponnesian War, Book I, 70). Click for more...
The Pedion tou Areos or Pedion Areos (Greek: Πεδίον του Άρεως or Πεδίον Άρεως, pronounced [peˈðion tu ˈareos], meaning Field of Ares, corresponding to the French Champ de Mars and the ancient Campus Martius) is one of the largest public parks in Athens, Greece. It is also the name of the wider neighbourhood.
The park was designed in 1934 and its purpose was to honour the heroes of the Greek Revolution of 1821, 21 of whom are depicted in marble busts standing in the park. The initial plan included the construction of a "Pantheon" for the revolutionaries and also a major Christian Temple, dedicated to the Greek Independence. Click for more..
The Old Parliament House (Greek: Μέγαρο της Παλαιάς Βουλή, Paleá Voulí) at Stadiou Street in Athens, housed the Greek Parliament between 1875 and 1935. It now houses the country's National Historical Museum.
The site was occupied originally by the house of the Athenian magnate and politician, Alexandros Kontostavlos. After Athens became the capital of Greece in 1833, King Otto selected it as temporary residence, pending the construction of the Royal Palace (which houses Parliament currently). In front of the building stands a large bronze equestrian statue of General Theodoros Kolokotronis. Click for more..
Theodoros Kolokotronis (Greek: Θεόδωρος Κολοκοτρώνης; 3 April 1770 – 4 February 1843) was a Greek general and the pre-eminent leader of the Greek War of Independence (1821–1829) against the Ottoman Empire. Kolokotronis's greatest success was the defeat of the Ottoman army under Mahmud Dramali Pasha at the Battle of Dervenakia in 1822. In 1825, he was appointed commander-in-chief of the Greek forces in Peloponnese. Today, Kolokotronis ranks among the most prominent figures in Greece's War of Independence.Theodoros Kolokotronis was born at Ramavouni (Ραμαβούνι) in Messenia, and was baptised in Piana, from a family of klefts, and grew up in Arcadia in the central Peloponnese where his family originated. The Kolokotroneoi were a powerful and respected clan in Arcadia in the 18th century. Click for more..
Playmobil's figure temporary exhibition at Hellenic National Museum. Laskarina "Bouboulina" Pinotsis (Greek: Λασκαρίνα "Μπουμπουλίνα" Πινότση; 11 May 1771–22 May 1825) was a Greek naval commander, heroine of the Greek War of Independence in 1821, and allegedly first woman-admiral of the Imperial Russian Navy.Bouboulina was born in a prison in Constantinople; she originated from the local native Arvanite population of the island of Hydra.
She was the daughter of Stavrianos Pinotsis, a captain from Hydra island, and his wife Skevo. Click for more..
Playmobil's figure temporary exhibition at Hellenic National Museum. Philhellenism ("the love of Greek culture") and philhellene ("the admirer of Greeks and everything Greek"), from the Greek φίλος philos "friend, lover" and ἑλληνισμός hellênismos "Greek", was an intellectual movement prominent mostly at the turn of the 19th century. It contributed to the sentiments that led Europeans such as Lord Byron or Charles Nicolas Fabvier to advocate for Greek independence from the Ottoman Empire. The later 19th-century European philhellenism was largely to be found among the Classicists.
The Monastery of the Holy Incorporeal Taxiarchs (Άγιοι Ασώματοι Ταξιάρχες), commonly known as Petraki Monastery (Μονή Πετράκη, "Monastery of Petrakis"), is a Byzantine-era monastery in Ampelokipoi, Athens. It serves as the seat of the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece.
Although attested for the first time in Ottoman times, the monastery's katholikon, a cross-in-square church of the Constantinopolitan type, dates to the 10th century. It is first attested in the Ottoman period as a stauropegic monastery and a metochion of the Karea Monastery on Mount Hymettus. It was also known as tou Koukoupoule (τοῦ Κουκουπουλῆ), but received its current popular name in 1673, following its renovation by Parthenios Petrakis. Click for more..
The National Garden (formerly the Royal Garden) (Greek: Εθνικός Κήπος) is a public park of 15.5 hectares (38 acres) in the center of the Greek capital, Athens. It is located between the districts of Kolonaki and Pangrati, directly behind the Greek Parliament building (The Old Palace) and continues to the South to the area where the Zappeion is located, across from the Panathenaiko or Kalimarmaro Olympic Stadium of the 1896 Olympic Games. The Garden also encloses some ancient ruins, tambourines and Corinthian capitals of columns, mosaics, and other features. On the Southeast side are the busts of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece, and of the Philhellene Jean-Gabriel Eynard. On the South side are the busts of the celebrated Greek poets Dionysios Solomos, author of the Greek National Hymn, and Aristotelis Valaoritis. Click for more..
Neoclassical architecture is an architectural style produced by the Neoclassical movement that began in the mid-18th century in Italy and France.
After the establishment of the Kingdom of Greece in 1832, the architecture of Greece was mostly influenced by the Neoclassical architecture. For Athens, the first King of Greece, Otto I, commissioned the architects Stamatios Kleanthis and Eduard Schaubert to design a modern city plan. The Old Royal Palace was the first important public building to be built, between 1836 and 1843. Later in the mid and late 19th century, Theophil von Hansen and Ernst Ziller took part in the construction of many neoclassical buildings. Click for more..
A caïque (Greek: καΐκι, kaiki, from Turkish: kayık) is a traditional fishing boat usually found among the waters of the Ionian or Aegean Sea, and also a light skiff used on the Bosporus. It is traditionally a small wooden trading vessel, brightly painted and rigged for sail. The caïque is also a typical case of positioning the widest beam far aft, with a long sharp bow. Click for more..
The Maximos Mansion (Greek: Μέγαρο Μαξίμου, Mégaro Maxímou) has been the official seat of the Prime Minister of Greece since 1982. It is located in downtown Athens, Greece, near Syntagma Square. The building houses the offices of the Head of the Greek Government, but it is the residence of the Prime Minister. Click for more..
Eridanos (Greek: Ηριδανός) was the small stream that flowed from a source in the foothills of the Lykabettos, through the Agora of ancient Athens in Greece to the archaeological site of the Kerameikos, where its bed is still visible.
As of April 2007, the stream of the river, as it flows through Monastiraki Square, has been excavated. It had been covered with a brickwork tunnel since classical times, and the brickwork had been repaired at least twice, in the imperial Roman and early Byzantine eras. Click for more..
"8tetto" (octeto) is an acapella vocal ensemble which consists of 8 singers. Its repertoire varies from classical music to jazz, pop, gospel and even traditional music. Apart from these activities, "8tetto" also introduces the world of opera to children from all over Greece throught their musical play "What is going on with Opera?". 8tetto consists of: Peny Deligianni, soprano Anne Fassea, soprano Antonia Tzitzika, alto Sofia Malama, alto Niko Ziaziari, tenor Stratis Steel, tenor Ilia Kapantai, bass Dimitri Alexoudi, bass. Click for more..
Mimis Plessas (Greek: Μίμης Πλέσσας; born October 12, 1924) is a Greek composer born in Athens. He began his career in 1952 and has written music for over 100 films, television and radio programs, and theatrical events. He has worked with such notable Greek singers as Nana Mouskouri ,Giannis Poulopoulos, Marinella, Rena Koumioti and lyricist Lefteris Papadopoulos.Plessas combined the traditions of entehno and laïkó with considerable success making a notable his own style. His composition work O Dromos in 1969 (The Street) still remains the work with the most sales in the history of the Greek discography. Click for more...
Porto Rafti (Greek: Πόρτο Ράφτη), official name: Limin Markopoulou (Greek: Λιμήν Μαρκοπούλου), is a seaside resort town in East Attica, Greece. It is part of the municipality Markopoulo Mesogaias, and it is about 15–20 minutes by car from the International airport of Athens, Eleftherios Venizelos, and about 35–40 minutes from downtown Athens via the highway. In 2011, its population was 9,686. The region of Mesogaia is well known for its fine vineyards, figs, and pistachios. Currently, there are several modern wine-making facilities in the region. It is part of Athens metropolitan area. Click for more..